O'pain Software Foundation: (2) Why is it better than AT&T?

Sharan Kalwani shan at mcf.UUCP
Sat May 28 14:18:13 AEST 1988

In article <1818 at thebes.UUCP> schwartz at swatsun.UUCP (Scott Schwartz) writes:
>I think the real issue is that unix is now (or is going to be, depending
>on how you feel) an important force in the computer world, and AT&T
>OWNS it.  Competing corporations just can't tolerate something important
>that the other guy controls.  ....

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. It does seem to explain
practically most of the moves made so far.

>> Geez.  Talk about white hats and black hats!
>
>Not to mention expensive business suits.

I like that!

>Can we all go back to being computer scientists now?  Or should
>we petition for the creation of comp.unix.mba?

Nope, it is high time that we petition for the creation of
comp.unix.politics ;-)
--
sharan kalwani  ...!{uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu}!mcf!shan
internet: shan%mcf.uucp at umix.cc.umich.edu         	shan at mcf.uucp
UNIX:They say the learning curve is steep, but you have to climb it only once!