KSH portability

XMRP50000[jcm]-a.v.reed avr at mtgzz.UUCP
Sat May 14 02:37:06 AEST 1988

In article <10806 at steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <341 at alice.marlow.reuters.co.uk> fox at alice.UUCP (Paul Fox) writes:
> >Well, I managed to get it running on Xenix/386 very easily. Xenix/286 was
> >a different kettle of fish. In fact I couldnt spare the time to do the work.
> I ported it to Xenix/286 (2.1.3) by typing "make" and reading a magazine
> for a while. I don't recall any problems at all (this is the ksh-i
> versions, the older versions took some doing).

When ksh was first being ported to the 286 here at AT&T, we found
enough bugs in the Intel/Microsoft C compiler to fill a 7-page
document. Ksh-i includes work-arounds for the known compiler bugs.
However, porting difficulties that result from buggy compilers are
definitely not ksh's fault.

				Adam Reed (mtgzz!avr)