O'pain Software Foundation

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.UUCP
Tue May 24 17:50:44 AEST 1988

My $0.02 worth:
    the whole POINT of the POSIX standard (and the FIPS extensions that
    finish the job) is to make endeavours like the OSF (and the FSF, for
    that matter) possible.  The very fact that a bunch of companies can
    get together like that and credibly start to produce an AT&T-
    independent UNIX means that POSIX is a success.

If IBM weren't in the group, I'd be cheering the OSF on, but I've seen
too many IBM products to be sanguine about the outcome, whether IBM are
doing it in good faith or not.  Most of the OSF companies are already in
X/Open, so it's plausible that they don't want to damage UNIX at all.