When did paging get into System V

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Mon May 16 05:23:08 AEST 1988

In article <2934 at ihlpe.ATT.COM> daryl at ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) writes:
>Strongly depends on the problem you are trying to solve, doesn't it.
>Never place much on performance benchmarks unless it is YOUR application
>that is being benchmarked.

Exactly right.  The test I referred to was done by USG on what
they considered a typical application job mix among their clients.

In fact, we opted for 4BSD at BRL instead of some USG derivative
when we acquired our first VAX partly because some of our (then)
important applications were going to benefit from virtual memory.

It didn't take long for people to develop hopelessly BSD-dependent
applications, though, so it's hard to dig our way out even if we
wanted to.