Porting System V program involving directory calls to BSD

rshwake rshwake at irs3.UUCP
Wed May 25 04:36:53 AEST 1988

	After having spent time on various System III and V systems,
accumulating favorite utilities along the way, I'm finding a goodly number
of them non-portable to the CCI Power VI environment, which appears to use
a Berkeley style filesystem.  These include tree/dtree (for directory tree
listings), sqzdir (for squeezing out of null directory slots), and ASD
(Automated Software Distribution from the Toolchest).

	J.E.Lapin's "Portable C and UNIX System Programming" includes source
for a 4.2 BSD directory access emulator for non 4.2 systems.  Is anyone
aware of a counterpart for emulating System III/V systems in code running
a BSD-style filesystem?  Can anyone recommend any books, documentation, etc.
that might assist in these porting efforts?

	Please E-mail responses.  I will summarize for the net.

							Ray Shwake