Uploading w/o flow-control to a Unix/Xenix tty port

David A. Wilson dave at sea375.UUCP
Sat Oct 22 12:32:53 AEST 1988

I have an application running under 4.3BSD, Xenix, Microport and Venix systems
that uploads data from a barcode scanner to a disk file. The scanner is
cordless and will transmit its contents when inserted in a holder that
is connected to an RS232 port on the host. The holder contains an optical
receptor, so it can only receive data from the scanner. Therefore, no flow
control is possible on the transmitted data. The holder contains only a
circuit to convert the optical data stream to RS232 ascii data, too bad. :-(
I know that the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted from the
scanner is 32K. The scanner can transmit at up to 9600 baud. I currently
set it to use 1200 baud, since higher rates cause data to be lost by overruns.
I would like to be able to use the higher rates to reduce the uploading
time. All systems are multi-user so system loads fluctuate.

What solutions are like to yield best results? Lowest cost? Most reliable?
Most portable? Most transparent to applications?
1. Install special device driver that can handle the maximum amount of data
   in a single read.
2. Install hardware buffering box to collect all data and upload it with
   flow-control to the host.(Any recommendations here?)
3. Tuning tty driver parameters for lowest overhead.

I do not have access to source on anything OS than 4.3BSD Unix.

Ideas welcome,
	David A. Wilson
	uw-beaver!tikal!slab!sea375!dave