Papers on Layered UNIX systems like Apollo VRM, Apollo SR10, etc.

Kenneth Almquist ka at june.cs.washington.edu
Fri Oct 7 15:15:12 AEST 1988

dempsey at handel.colostate.edu. (Steve Dempsey) writes:
> Hmmm... sounds like someone wants to run UN*X on IBM hardware.  This is
> certainly an admirable goal.  I'm working on something along these lines,
> but we all know IBM+UNIX=Vaporware :-), at least on a reasonably capable cpu.

Both AT&T and Amdahl have ported UN*X to the IBM 370 architecture.  The
AT&T port runs on top of a kernel provided by IBM, which makes it possible
to run TSO concurrently on the same machine, should you want to.  (This does
not mean that TSO users can communicate with UN*X users on the same machine;
file formats and everything else are different.)  The Amdahl port is a
native implementation.

I don't know anything about purchasing these versions of UN*X.  It used to
be that the AT&T port could be purchased for $100,000, but since the kernel
provided by IBM was not for sale to anyone besides AT&T, IBM was the only
possible customer.  The Amdahl port might be a better bet.
				Kenneth Almquist