Line disciplines (was: "UNIX Programming on the 80286/80386")

Bill Lampman bill at ftp.COM
Fri Oct 28 05:18:40 AEST 1988

In article <322 at cocktrice.UUCP>, mdm at cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> I have recently acquired a copy of the book "UNIX Programming on the
> 80286/80386" by Alan Deikman, and this book raises some questions for
> me.
[other stuff deleted]
> Is there a good source of documentation on how one deals with the line
> discipline from the device driver level? I have looked at other information
> including Bach's book and nothing covers this aspect with any kind of
> depth.

I would also like any information that is available on line disciplines;
I've been poking through the serial line drivers in the Xenix kernel using
a debugger and it seems like SCO Xenix only supports one line discipline.
Am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question about SLIP, those answers
have given me the correct solution, ie. line disciplines, now all I need to
do is implement it.

While I'm on the subject, why is there is SLIP code for BSD 4.3, 4.2 and
SUN OS but none for SysV ? Is it that AT&T wants everyone to use UUCP so that
their phone bills will pay for future development projects ?

Bill

Bill Lampman @ FTP Software		UUCP:	...harvard!ftp!bill
					ARPA:	bill at ftp.com
...sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own...