Line disciplines (was: "UNIX Programming on the 80286/80386")

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Fri Oct 28 13:17:15 AEST 1988

>While I'm on the subject, why is there is SLIP code for BSD 4.3, 4.2 and
>SUN OS but none for SysV ?

Because there's standard IP in 4.3BSD, 4.2BSD, and SunOS, but none for
System V.  You have to get networking implementations from a third
party, or from your vendor if they've added it to System V.  As I
remember, at least one of the third-party implementations - the
Convergent/Lachman one for S5R3 - *does* include SLIP....

>Is it that AT&T wants everyone to use UUCP so that their phone bills
>will pay for future development projects ?

Oh?  Are you asserting that you can send things over dial-up SLIP (e.g.,
running SMTP over TCP over IP) faster than you can over dial-up UUCP?  If
not, your phone bills aren't going to go down....