Line disciplines (was: "UNIX Programming on the 80286/80386")

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Sat Oct 29 05:47:20 AEST 1988

In article <391 at ftp.COM> bill at ftp.COM (Bill Lampman) writes:

| While I'm on the subject, why is there is SLIP code for BSD 4.3, 4.2 and
| SUN OS but none for SysV ? Is it that AT&T wants everyone to use UUCP so that
| their phone bills will pay for future development projects ?

  Could you post your performance numbers for uucp and SLIP? The packet
overhead is about the same, and I wouldn't expect mush diference in
speed. I see about 219-222 cps on a 2400 baud line, so there's not much
to gain unless you go synchronous.

  You can get some very bad performance out of uucp if you "detune" it
to use less than seven buffers, but in a reasonable configuration it
works very well. If you have really big line delays another protocol
for file transfer is desirable, neither uucp or slip. Perhaps zmodem?

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)