RDUMP - socket permission problem

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Fri Oct 28 06:40:47 AEST 1988

>In my zeal to properly protect files in my UNIX system, I seem to have caused
>/etc/rdump to stop working.  Not only does it fail between systems, it fails
>to work when it is for the local system.  The error message presented is:
>
>	rcmd:socket: Permission denied

Umm, turning off the set-UID bit on "/etc/rdump" (or any other program
distributed with the system) does not count as "properly protecting
files"; you didn't do that, did you?  Programs that use "rcmd" require
root privileges, since the "rcmd" service uses a "privileged port".

>A similar problem happens when I do /etc/ping to another site.  A note here
>is that /etc/ping will work correctly when executed as ROOT.

Sounds like the same problem....

If a system program has the set-UID or set-GID bit set, leave it set
unless you *absolutely positively* know that it shouldn't be set.