portable way to do nap()

Erik Murrey erik at mpx1.UUCP
Sun Oct 2 13:58:38 AEST 1988

How can I do a portable nap()?  A nap() (under XENIX) allows
a user process to block for a short time, usually a few hundred ms.

In any case, SysVr2 doesn't support a nap()-like call which is
very useful for two reasons (that I can think of):

1.
	Communications protocols implemented at the user process
	level (e.g. uucico, etc.)
2.
	Character input routines that must distinguish between
	ESC and a function key.

I hear that some systems have a special device for nap()-ing, and
others use select(), and still others are stuck with using a
CPU intensive while() loop using the times() call.

Does SysVr3 address this?  How about SysVr4?

If this has already been hammered to death, then please e-mail
me a summary.

Thanks!
Erik Murrey
--
Erik Murrey                            /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                / | / /  /____/   |/