Using find(1) with obnoxious systems...

Michael I. Bushnell mike at turing.unm.edu
Tue Oct 18 19:03:24 AEST 1988

We have a number of systems.  They all mount user file systems using
NFS.  The standard 4.3 /usr/adm/daily script does a nightly find on /,
to clean '#' files, ',' files, 'core' files, and 'a.out' files.  We
like this behavior.

But, we don't need to do every client file system on each machine that
has it mounted.  It would be sufficient to clean only those that are
locally resident on each server.

A simple solution is to give find the -fstype 4.2 option, but that
still goes around 'stat'ing each file in the client file
system...hardly a savings.

We could run a separate find on each file system, but that is a pain.
Just one is a lot nicer.

Is there a clever usage of -prune that would help, or are we hosed to
using separate finds for each file system?

In case it isn't clear, we run 4.3+NFS from Mt. Xinu.  But the problem
would exist on 4.3 if you wanted to omit some file system from the
find anyway.

TIA.

                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

       \                Michael I. Bushnell
        \               HASA - "A" division
        /\              mike at turing.unm.edu
       /  \ {ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike