Papers on Layered UNIX systems like Apollo VRM, Apollo SR10, etc.

The Beach Bum jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Sat Oct 1 23:55:20 AEST 1988

In article <371 at ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> dempsey at handel.colostate.edu..UUCP (Steve Dempsey) writes:
>Hmmm... sounds like someone wants to run UN*X on IBM hardware.  This is
>certainly an admirable goal.  I'm working on something along these lines,
>but we all know IBM+UNIX=Vaporware :-), at least on a reasonably capable cpu.
>My experience in searching for such literature as Tom is seeking has been
>disappointing at best; perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.  I would
>also be interested in anything on the subject.

Various UNIX ports exist which run on top of a different operating system.
IBM's 370/ix port runs under VM on their 370 family of CPU's, which do
include some very "reasonable capable cpu"s.  There are also native mode
UNIX ports [ AT&T did these some years ago ] for IBM 370's and plug
compatible machines.

I'd suggest starting with the obvious sources for literature, IBM and AT&T
should have written something.  You may want to try the ``UNIX Edition''
of the BSTJ for starters.
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

      "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
                   entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias