System V file systems

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Mon Oct 31 10:44:42 AEST 1988

In article <8338 at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
> I have never seen a realistic benchmark [ multi-process, multi-file, random
> access ] validate the claims BSD FFS puts forward - except to the extent that
> having the larger block size dictates.  And soon USG Unix will have 2K blocks
> so expect that advantage to diminish.

These are available now.  System V Release 3.1.1 for the 3B15 has
had 2k blocks for some time, and Sys V Rel 3.2.1 for the 3B2 just
came out with it.

How hard is it for an instantiation of UNIX to support multiple
kinds of blocksizes?  I would think that keeping the blocksize in
the superblock would make it pretty easy, so I could use 1k blocks
for root, and (say) 8k for the /database partition with a dozen
files all > 1MB.  Currently it seems like a big deal for them
to come out with a new supported blocksize.

     Steve
--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl