System V file systems

John Mashey mash at mips.COM
Sun Oct 30 13:26:40 AEST 1988

In article <8338 at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
>I have never seen a realistic benchmark [ multi-process, multi-file, random
>access ] validate the claims BSD FFS puts forward - except to the extent that
>having the larger block size dictates.  And soon USG Unix will have 2K blocks
>so expect that advantage to diminish.

I don't have the benchmark either.  I do note that when we brought up
V.3 on our systems, we started with a vanilla port, intending to put
the FFS in later.  We did (8K blocks). Overall performance, responsiveness, etc,
in a multi-user environment went way up.  On 5-10mips machines,
the vanilla 1K block SYS V file system was tremendously disk-bound.
(Again, I don't have the numbers handy, but I remember what it felt like.)
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash at mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253