>> Help w/ lpr spooler on Sun <<

Aled Morris awm at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 02:20:45 AEST 1988

In message <7398 at well.UUCP> samlb at well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) writes:
>I've got a problem:
[description of problem with hardware flow control on Sun-3 deleted]

I picked this off the sun-spots digest (comp.sys.sun in news) recently,
perhaps it could be of use?

It talks of making changes to the source of your program, which means
lpr in your case (or maybe your printer filter, if you use one).  If
you don't have source you could write a wrapper program to do the ioctls
described, or you could replace the supplied lpr with the PLP (Portable
Line Printer) software that was recently posted (comp.sources.unix, I
think).

------------------------------

>Date:    Mon, 03 Oct 88 12:30:03 +1000
>From:    Craig Bishop <munnari!lupus.cc.deakin.oz.au!craig at uunet.uu.net>
>Subject: Re: Serial line H/W flow control under 3.5 and 4.0

This is mail I just sent to a colleage in New Zealand, I think it will go
part way to solving your problems. We tried the MDMBUF stuff but it never
seemed to work right in SunOS 4.0.

Craig

------- Forwarded Message From: Craig Bishop <craig>

Firstly we made the same mistake you have the standard sun ports are not
RS232 they are RS432 (I think, I'd have to check with our engineer to be
positive about the number).

Yes it can be done, and it took a bit of heart ache.

We didn't however use DTR we used RTS CTS. To do the following you will
need source to the printer software you are using. And also be using SunOS
4.0. Sorry if this is not help.

You have to change the all the IOCTL's to use termio instead of sgttys.
Once you have done that, add to the termios (note the "s" in termio, there
is a new termio structure termios) the flag CRTSCTS, this enables RTS CTS
handshaking on the line. Note also that the line is NOT configured as a
modem port.

Finally if you don't want the printer to be a bit bucket when it is turned
off, the following wiring should be used,

     3/60

   +-------+
   +-------+
   +-------+          /
   +-------+    |     /  4.7 K Resistor
   +-------+          |
   |  25   |----------+
   +-------+

Lots of luck.

Craig Bishop    ARPA:   craig%lupus.cc.deakin.oz.au at uunet.uu.net
                UUCP:   ...!uunet!munnari!lupus.cc.deakin.oz!craig

------- End of Forwarded Message

Best wishes

Aled Morris
systems programmer

    mail: awm at doc.ic.ac.uk    |    Department of Computing
    uucp: ..!ukc!icdoc!awm    |    Imperial College
    talk: 01-589-5111x5085    |    180 Queens Gate, London  SW7 2BZ