>> Help w/ lpr spooler on Sun <<

Samuel B. Bassett samlb at well.UUCP
Mon Oct 17 16:23:36 AEST 1988

I've got a problem:

At work we have a Sun 3/260, running Sun OS 3.2 (4.2BSD), pushing Postscript
down a 9600 baud serial cable to a DataProducts LZR2665 Laser Printer.  The
cable ends at the back of the 2665 at the 9-pin interface (TxD, RxD, DTR and
ground connected).  The Sun kernel is configured to respond to XON/XOFF
handshaking, not DTR/DSR.

The problem is that we I can only send about one page per minute down the
cable without the 2665 upchucking and dumping the file.  This is _not_ a
problem with a PC which is hooked to the 25-pin interface on the back of the
2665.  (The 2665 is smart enough to watch both ports, and take files only from
the one which becomes active first, telling the other to wait -- the two don't
seem to interfere with one another.)

I set up a spooler using "lpr" -- separate spool directory, printcap
configuration, and all.  It seems to work reasonably well, except that it does
not seem to recognize XON/XOFF, and overruns its buffer, leaving heaps of:

Calls to Sun and various known gurus get me the run-around.

Can anybody help?  Is it something in 'printcap'?  Do I have to reconfigure
the kernel for DTR/DSR handshaking?  Is there any way around putting a 'sleep
60 (120, 180,...)' in the shell file that drives the thing?  HAAALP!

{ Please reply to this newsgroup or the address in the .signature below --
  I'm a guest at this machine }

adTHANKSvance

--
Sam'l Bassett -- Semantic Engineering for fun & profit.
34 Oakland Ave., San Anselmo  CA  94960;               DDD:  (415) 454-7282