what should egrep '|root' /etc/passwd print? (Everything)

Andrew Hume andrew at alice.UUCP
Tue Oct 4 15:42:10 AEST 1988

for what it is worth, i give in and will support a null regular
expression which matches the inter-character null string.
thus, so will gre. of course, programs which use my libraries are
free to intercept empty expressions and substitute the last expression
etc.

i thank several correspondants who convinced me of this but due
to the HOPELESS STUPID WRETCHED CRAPPY netnews/mail black hole of despair
i couldn't reply directly so i have to broadcast my thanks.