Just 8 bits out

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Wed Oct 19 05:26:22 AEST 1988

>> >Isn't there a way under BSD just to get 8-bit output?  There should be.
>>
>> The bit to set for exactly this purpose is LLITOUT.  It's in the
>> local modes word.  See tty(4) for details.
>
>I think that disables output processing as well.

It does.

>Anyway, this does not enable 8-bit character input (I know he wasn't asking
>for this, but if the application uses 8-bit characters, he might want to input
>8-bit characters as well).

In 4.3BSD you can turn on PASS8 which will give you 8-bit character
input.  However, you still can't get 8-bit output without turning other
output processing off.

This will, presumably, be fixed in whatever future release of BSD has
a POSIX-compatible tty driver.  Some systems commonly thought of as BSD
systems can already handle 8-bit output without completely turning
output processing off, e.g. SunOS 4.0 (which has a POSIX-style - I'd say
"POSIX-compatible", except that IEXTEN or whatever it's called wasn't in
POSIX in time to get it into 4.0 - tty driver, with a BSD compatibility
streams module atop it).  Setting PASS8 in SunOS 4.0 gives you 8 bits in
both directions.