query: new disk drive for VAX

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Thu Oct 6 00:38:32 AEST 1988

[Note: this has very little to do with either Unix or archicture so I've
added comp.periphs to the Newsgroups list and directed followups there]

In article <4198 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> Given about $20,000 to $30,000 to spend on a disk drive [...] can I do
> better than buying an RA81 from DEC?

	Having had an RA-81 for 4 or 5 years, I can say with some assurance
that just about anything else would be better.  RA-81s are expensive, slow,
and unreliable.  What less could you want from a disk drive?  For $30k, you
should be able to buy a couple of Fuji SuperEagles and a good Emulex
controller, or any of several other high-quality drives from Fuji or NEC.
If you prefer to buy American, CDC has several good products.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers}!phri!roy -or- phri!roy at uunet.uu.net