Named pipes?

John B Scalia jb at aablue.UUCP
Sat Apr 22 06:10:24 AEST 1989

In article <5367 at cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugkamins at sunybcs.UUCP (John Kaminski) writes:
>In article <704 at sdrc.UUCP> scwilk at sdrc.UUCP (Ken_Wilkinson) writes:
>>
>>     I am to impliment IPC's for a product.  However, message queues
>> "may" not do the job for me.  It was mentioned that "named pipes"
>> could be a solution.  Does anyone have a suggestion for sources
>> which would document named pipes? Also sample code fragments would
>> be helpful too.
>
>Most of the docs I can find on named pipes are in mknod(2).

You might want to pick up _Advanced_Unix_Programming_ by Marc J. Rochkind.
It includes two sections of specific interest:
	1) Basic Interprocess Communication
	2) Advanced Interprocess Communication

and covers pipes, named pipes, semaphores, and shared memory. It is rather
specific towards Sys V and Xenix, but portability is discussed.

--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who