Named pipes?

Kyle Grieser yuf at mentor.cc.purdue.edu
Fri Apr 21 04:44:51 AEST 1989

In article <5367 at cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugkamins at sunybcs.UUCP (John Kaminski) writes:
>In article <704 at sdrc.UUCP> scwilk at sdrc.UUCP (Ken_Wilkinson) writes:
>>
>>     I am to impliment IPC's for a product.  However, message queues
>> "may" not do the job for me.  It was mentioned that "named pipes"
>> could be a solution.  Does anyone have a suggestion for sources
>> which would document named pipes? Also sample code fragments would
>> be helpful too.
>
>Most of the docs I can find on named pipes are in mknod(2).

	Yes, from my experience with named pipes there isn't much out
there to help you out.  mknod(2) is the only place that I could find
any information.  The best way to learn them is to play with them.
As long as you remember that they are FIFOs it is quite easy to see
how they behave.  Readers will block if there is nothing to read, and
writers will block if there is no one reading from the other end.

-----
Kyle Grieser, Purdue University Computing Center
mentor.cc.purdue.edu!yuf, yuf at mentor.cc.purdue.edu