SCREEN problems

Thomas Hoyt thoyt at ddn-wms.arpa
Fri Apr 21 07:48:44 AEST 1989

	I am having difficulties using the screen window manager utility mentioned
in this publication earlier this week.  I am running under Sun Unix 4.2.

	The program runs fine.  It seems to be doing everything as advertised.
USING the windows it creates is the problem.  Here are the symptoms:
When I more a large file, after several pages, more starts paging by itself.
Something is sending more input repeatedly.  Sometimes it will continue for
a spell and stop.  When I tap the space bar for another page, it's off to the
races once more--sometimes all the way to the end of the file.

	What's more irritating, the same thing happens in vi.  When I do a page down
or several returns, the editor starts zipping down the file helter-skelter.
>From what I can deduce, something(?) is sending these two programs "60"<CR>
over and over, as if it were coming from my terminal.  Returning to the
shell ends this input.

	While there may be termcap incompatibilities, this doesn't sound like
your typical termcap problem.  Anyone else experienced this problem or
problems like it with this windowing package?  Did I install it wrong?
Is there something strange about Sun 4.2?  I've already spent a day peering
into the code with no luck.  Respond to the net or directly to
thoyt at ddn-wms.arpa.  Thanks.

									-- Thomas Hoyt
										CRC Systems, Inc.
										Fairfax, VA (thoyt at ddn-wms.arpa)