Priorty messages in Unix

Chad Gibbons chad at lakesys.UUCP
Fri Apr 14 13:06:31 AEST 1989

In article <538 at lakesys.UUCP> tom at lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) writes:
|>Does anyone know if there is a way to tell 4.xBSD Unix to let certain
|>priorty messages through?
|On AT&T UNIX, you can allow group write permissions to the /dev/tty.
|I assume that this also holds for BSD Unix(correct me if I'm wrong.)

	On most BSD-derivative systems no user other than the owner has
access to your tty, nor can you modify your own.  Talk requests and such
are done through a system of daemon processes which control user access
to each other.  This was done in order to remove the ever frustrating
moment when someone does a "cat</etc/hosts>/dev/ttyxx&" to your terminal.
--
D. Chadwick Gibbons, chad at lakesys.lakesys.com, ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!chad