Dumping Remote Clients on Suns

Bob Brankley brankley at usfvax2.EDU
Sun Apr 23 15:17:07 AEST 1989

In article <1746 at spp2.UUCP>, simpson at trwarcadia.uucp writes:
> How do most people in the net world out there dump client disks?
> I have a remote shell that I run to currently dump the clients.  The

Several months back, we at USF had a similar problem to yours:  whenever our
remote dumps took more than one tape the whole dump was aborted.  After a small
debate we came to the common decision that the only way to perform multi-volume
remote dumps was to place the dump command in the .login of the user performing
the dump.  Let me explain further ...

On our computers we use a modified version of a program called "Backup" which
we procured from the USENET some 8-10 months ago.  To make a long story short,
"Backup" is an intelligent interface to dump which figures out the appropriate
backup(s) to do on a given day and then calls dump to perform the backup(s).
We then modified the .login of the "operator" ID on each of our machines to
call our version of "Backup" whenever user "operator" logged in.  By placing
the "Backup" command in the .login, we avoided the non-interactive nature of
rsh and allowed ourselves multi-volume backups.  Please feel free to mail me
at the below address if you have any further questions.

Bob Brankley
System Administrator
University of South Florida Computer Science and Engineering Department
INTERNET:  brankley at usfvax2.csee.usf.edu
UUCP:      gatech!usfvax2!brankley