Dumping Remote Clients on Suns

tom reingold tr at dduck.ctt.bellcore.com
Wed Apr 26 22:06:33 AEST 1989

On the subject of "Dumping Remote Clients on Suns",
simpson at trwarcadia.uucp writes:

$ How do most people in the net world out there dump client disks?
$ I have a remote shell that I run to currently dump the clients.  The
$ line in the script looks like
$
$ rsh client -l root /etc/dump 9udf 6250 dumphost:/dev/nrmt8 /dev/rsd0g
$
$ This works except for when it takes two tapes.  Then the dump program
$ tries to open /dev/tty when it asks for confirmation and it of course fails.
$ I told Sun this was an error and they disagreed.  So my next alternative was
$ to try remote logging in.
$
$ rlogin hostname -l root << endmarker
$ ...text here...
$ endmarker
$
$ This didn't work either.  Rlogin won't take standard input that is not a tty.
$ Any suggestions?

Dump reads from /dev/tty, as you have noticed.   It does not read from
stdin.  None of the ideas like the ones you have shown will work for
this reason.

The solution is to use rdump.   Rdump reads from /dev/tty also but
allows you to use a tape on a remote machine.

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr at ctt.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP:           bellcore!ctt!tr
444 Hoes La room 1E225         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854           |                (201) 287-2345 [home]