EDT Emulators?

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Wed Apr 26 18:16:10 AEST 1989

In article <6682 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>I've heard of EDT emulation in gnuemacs, however I'd prefer to avoid the
>considerable overhead if there is an alternative that is just EDT and not
>the whole world in one bite.  8-)

Pseudo-answer by way of a challenging question:

Anybody else believe it can be done with vi by setting the 'vs' entry
in the termcap to turn the keypad into application-mode, then putting
the proper map's in the .exrc to emulate EDT commands?

F'rinstance

	map OS Di

in the .exrc will, when the pf4 key (on a DEC keyboard, which is what
EDT-fans are used to) is depressed, use the ^[ in the code emitted by pf4
(to wit: ^[OS) to end-insert-mode, will then delete-to-end-of-line,
then will place one back into insert-mode.  Similar things can be done to
all the keypad keys, and the arrow keys, and even the 'gold' key can
be emulated by using double-long maps, like

	map OP^[OS pi

to implement undelete-last-delete-to-end-of-line.

It sounds like fun.  I haven't the foggiest how to emulate the highlighting
in select-regions, and I haven't the time to write the rest of it.  Heck,
I haven't the time to be reading this stuff...

				--Blair
				  "...but, my name is Blair,
				   and I'm a Newsaholic..."

P.S.  Don't forget to unsetenv EXINIT, or the right tree will go un-barked-up.