/dev/fd

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.ORG
Fri Apr 21 10:33:52 AEST 1989

As quoted from <257 at jwt.UUCP> by john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples):
+---------------
| In article <16817 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
| >shuffle puts them back), then the ksh syntax
| >
| >	shuffle <(process1) <(process2)
| >
| >produces on standard output the combined output of the two processes,
|
| I tried this (with diff, not shuffle) on two different kshs, and both barfed
| on the syntax.  Is this only supported under certain versions of ksh or Unix?
+---------------

The only ksh'es I've used require that Unix have the /dev/fd/n driver
installed to do this.  While it is possible to get this behavior by the use
of named pipes, ksh doesn't use them when /dev/fd/n doesn't exist.  (Perhaps
the most recent version, released a month or so ago if I remember correctly,
does -- but *I* don't have it and chances are that you don't either.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery at ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>
NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 781-6201, 300/1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser