System 5 porting

carey at m.cs.uiuc.edu carey at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 12 06:17:00 AEST 1989

We have almost all bsd machines, and a few system 5 machines.
I have done some porting of software from the bsd systems to system 5.
But I have never really kept track of the problems I have run into.
If I had to tell some other programmer what the problems are, about
all I could say is "they ain't the same."

Does anyone have a short summary of basic differences?  Not all the
gory details, please, I am sure that could take up volumes.  Just
something that lists the system calls that are missing from system 5,
major differences in results of calls, differences in commands,
and so on.

I don't think I am the only one who would like to have such a list.

--John Carey
carey at cs.uiuc.edu
{uu-net,seismo,pur-ee,...}!uiucdcs!carey