syscall(2) function

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.icst.nbs.gov
Thu Apr 6 03:03:14 AEST 1989

? From: Doug Gwyn  <gwyn at smoke.brl.mil>
? Date: 28 Feb 89 04:48:24 GMT

? In article <2292 at unmvax.unm.edu> lee at doc.cs.unm.edu () writes:
? -In article <9742 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
? ->In article <3740 at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kerchen at iris.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) writes:
? ->>Is the system call "syscall()" necessary?
? ->I don't even think it's particularly useful these days; ...
? -It still has uses...
? -	exit (syscall(RESUBA, atoi(argv[1])));

? Only because Berkeley neglected to provide a resuba() hook in
? the C library!  Given direct hooks in the library for all system
? calls, I know of no real requirement for the syscall() function.

You may be correct in the specific case of what you just said, but
the general case is more like asking whether pointers to functions
are desirable in C or whether "funcall" or "apply" is useful in LISP.

Also note that VMS has (or at least RSX has) an indirect format of
their system call.

	Catman Rshd <rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov>
	Author of "The Daemonic Versions"