TELNET Binary option

Mark I. Williams ccwilliams at wombat.decnet.uq.oz
Wed Apr 5 14:51:24 AEST 1989

Folks,
	I have a problem getting the BSD4.3 TELNET to talk to a UNISYS 2200
machine running OS 1100.
	The problem seems to be that the BSD TELNET refuses to negotiate
the binary option, while the particular application we are running on the
UNISYS machine requires the binary option.

	I would give a listing of the options transactions, but the log
file i have is temporarily unavailable. What it boils down to is (from the
BSD end) is:

Received DO BINARY (reply)
SENT	 DON'T BINARY (reply)
REC'D	 WILL BINARY
SENT	 WON'T BINARY

and the connection gets closed.

	Is this because the Telnet provided with BSD (I have tried ULTRIX
2.2 and Mt. Xinu 4.3BSD) doesn't support the binary option?  If this is
the case, are there any implementations available that support the binary
option? (as per RFC 856)

Thanks Muchly,

Mark Williams
Mark I. Williams	   ACSnet: ccwilliams at wombat.decnet.uq.oz