Csh prompt problem

Charles Hill crh at ajax.Philips.Com
Thu Feb 9 01:58:15 AEST 1989

In article <739 at umb.umb.edu> pme at umb.edu (Paul English) writes:
>Since this type of thing usually makes your prompt so long that you
>usually tend to ignore it, why have it there in the first place? If
>you really need an easy way of reminding yourself where you are, you
>could do something like the following to make it easy to get this info
>on demand:
>
>    alias . echo `hostname`: `dirs`

I agree. While my host names are short so they are OK to embed in
the prompt, I would find having the full dir pathname in the prompt
very annoying. I agree it's better to just make it quick to
find out where you are.

Moreover, the posted solutions for embedding the cwd in the
prompt ignore "pushd", which I find especially useful for frequently
switching back and forth among a set of directories. I use the
following aliases:

alias pd pushd
alias 1 dirs
alias 2 pushd
alias 3 pushd +2
alias 4 pushd +3

Typing 1 quickly tells me where I am. Typing another number
such as 3 brings the 3rd element to the top of the dir stack.

Charles Hill
Philips Labs
(crh%philabs.philips.com at uunet)