trouble installing SCO 386 (2.3) - boot0: error 80

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Tue Feb 14 04:54:02 AEST 1989

In article <204 at aimed.UUCP> nick at aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) writes:
}Well, I give up. I've got a brand spankin' new 386 machine sitting
}here, with 4 Meg of memory, a 20Mhz chip, and a PRIAM 250Mb ESDI
}drive. I'm tying to install SCO XENIX version 2.3, and I'm getting
}*very frustrated*. Here's the problem:
}...
}Now the trouble. It says to open the floppy door and hit any key to reboot.
}When I do, I get a screen as follows:
}
}Phoenix 80386 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 01
}Copyright (C) 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
}All rights Reserved
}
}ELT 386
}
}
}boot0: error 80
}
}That's it. System now hung...

I seem to recall an earlier posting suggesting that the Phoenix bios does
not support drives with more than 1024 cylinders.
Although Xenix doesn't care if you use the whole drive for xenix the
bios boot-routine may care. It may choke if it notices you are trying to
boot from a drive with more than 1024 cyls.
What drive-type did you specify? It doesn't matter to Xenix in case you
keep the whole drive for Xenix, so you may want to pretend you have a smaller
disk in the cmos-setup memory.

Paul.