trouble installing SCO 386 (2.3) - boot0: error 80

Nick Pemberton nick at aimed.UUCP
Wed Feb 8 07:40:56 AEST 1989

Well, I give up. I've got a brand spankin' new 386 machine sitting
here, with 4 Meg of memory, a 20Mhz chip, and a PRIAM 250Mb ESDI
drive. I'm tying to install SCO XENIX version 2.3, and I'm getting
*very frustrated*. Here's the problem:

The Installation seems to be going just fine until it comes time to
boot up off the hard disk. Some details: I use the whole disk, (1224
cylinders, as specified by priam), I ran a thorough destructive scan,
as requested by SCO, I have entered the defect map printed on the
disk drive. Then, after the scan completes, I set up swap space (just
use default for now), set up seperate /u filesystem, since disk is
so ruddy big, and watch it merrily make the filesystem. No probs. Then
it asks for serialization, which I do, and that works fine.

Now the trouble. It says to open the floppy door and hit any key to reboot.
When I do, I get a screen as follows:

Phoenix 80386 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 01
Copyright (C) 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All rights Reserved

ELT 386

boot0: error 80

That's it. System now hung. And I want to scream. There is no PRIAM bios
interfering any more, but even when there was, the stupid thing still crashed.
DOS has no problem with the hardware, but thats hardly surprising.
There is no unusual hardware (two serial ports, one monochrome port, a
controller listed in the supported list (the dtc 6280)). I've talked to SCO
about it, and all they say is: "its probably a bad disk". (Actually they
were much more thorough then that, but that's the only possible answer
left of theirs).

So, has anyone seen this, or know of it, or Know who I should pester? Should
I through this thing off a bridge now?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
--

Nick Pemberton                   UUCP: !{utzoo,utai}!lsuc!aimed!nick
AIM, Inc                          Bus: (416) 429-4913