trouble installing SCO 386 (2.3) - boot0: error 80

Frank Bicknell frankb at usource.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 00:57:56 AEST 1989

In article <204 at aimed.UUCP>, nick at aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) writes:

> ... PRIAM 250Mb ESDI drive. I'm tying to install SCO XENIX
> version 2.3, and I'm getting *very frustrated*. Here's the
> problem:
>
> The Installation seems to be going just fine until it comes
> time to boot up off the hard disk. Some details: I use the
> whole disk, (1224 cylinders, as specified by priam), ...

Quoth Release Notes for Xenix 2.3.1, page A-14, "Some hard
disks have more than 1024 cylinders.  At this time, XENIX
supports a maximum of 1024 cylinders."

Uh--oh.

Call SCO and ask them why they didn't tell you that in the first
place (there may be a reasonable explanation, like you set it up
with 612 logical cylinders with twice the sectors per track or
some such... I've seen that, but I think the controller has to
support that somehow).
--
Frank Bicknell                                       \      Pi are round, silly!
USMAIL: 1405 Main St, Ste 709, Sarasota, FL 34236   ==------------------------\