UNIX-PC to VAX to SUN

Stefan Mochnacki stefan at helios.toronto.edu
Fri Feb 10 15:07:51 AEST 1989

Phil Kemp writes:

>I am using a UNIX-PC connected to a VAX as a terminal, via a hardwire
>connection to a multiplexor, and then invoking telnet to log in to a SUN
>attached to a TCP/IP network linking everthing together. ( except my PC )

	[ tales of woes deleted ]

>Has anyone done anything like this before and been successful? My

Yes, I do something similar all the time: PC --> PACX --> VAX --> SUN -->
SUN ...   or  PC--> Gandalf SMUX --> terminal server DEC 100 --> VAX -->
SUN --> ... Kermit between the PC and the (very!) remote Sun works just
fine for text files (binary a bit dubious but not really necessary)
HOWEVER, we use DNI between the VMS VAX and the Sun, and rlogin to
get to other Suns without DNI. Try rlogin instead of telnet ??.

>Please E-mail any help to me and I will try and summarize if there is a
>decent solution.

Sorry, the return path is so tortuous I have to post it to the net.
Stefan W. Mochnacki          INTERNET - stefan at helios.physics.toronto.edu
Astronomy, U. Toronto        UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios!stefan
+1 (416) 884-9562            BITNET - mochnacki at utorphys.bitnet