Problem reconfiguring SysV Rel 2.1.2 kernel on an ATT 3B15

Tim Ramsey tar at ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu
Sun Feb 12 08:13:45 AEST 1989

In article <722 at deimos.cis.ksu.edu> I wrote:

>I'm a little confused.  All I wanted to do was increase the number of process
>table entries on my system.  This is what I did:

[ ... ]

In article <207 at rdahp.UUCP> scott at rdahp.UUCP (Scott Hammond) writes:

>I cannot speak for the warnings you received after this point, but about
>the networking driver, I believe your mistake is right here.  The
>problem with the WIN3b1.1 driver is not related to the parameters you
>changed.  Rather, certain driver initialization does not take place (or
>not correctly) if you rebuild UNIX from multi-user mode.  You must do
>the mkboot in single user mode in order to get the WIN3b driver to work
>correctly.

Bingo.  Thanks to Scott and the others who pointed this out by mail.
Remaking the kernel (mkunix -o /unix, *not* mkboot -o /unix -- silly
fingers) in single user mode seems to have solved everything.  No error
messages about timestamps, and the WIN/3B drivers are working fine.

I dunno what the cause is, but remaking the kernel in multi-user mode
doesn't seem to work.

Tim
--
Timothy Ramsey