Problem reconfiguring SysV Rel 2.1.2 kernel on an ATT 3B15

Scott Hammond scott at rdahp.UUCP
Fri Feb 10 03:31:29 AEST 1989

In article <722 at deimos.cis.ksu.edu> tar at ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
> { remarks on changing NPROC and MAXUP kernel parms }
> { and then to rebuild UNIX... }
|# cd /boot
|# mkboot -k KERNEL
|# cd /
|# cp unix ounix
|# shutdown -i5 -g0 -y
| [system goes down to firmware, boot switch is off]
|> boot
|enter path: /etc/system
| [system goes to single-user]
|# init 2
| [system goes to run level 2]
| [log in as root]
|# mkboot -o /unix
I cannot speak for the warnings you received after this point, but about
the networking driver, I believe your mistake is right here.  The
problem with the WIN3b1.1 driver is not related to the parameters you
changed.  Rather, certain driver initialization does not take place (or
not correctly) if you rebuild UNIX from multi-user mode.  You must do
the mkboot in single user mode in order to get the WIN3b driver to work
correctly.

--
Scott Hammond
R & D Associates, Marina del Rey, CA