Is it me or is it my rc.local?

Steve Summit scs at adam.pika.mit.edu
Wed Feb 22 15:02:16 AEST 1989

In article <18409 at adm.BRL.MIL> BHAYNES%AUDUCVAX.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>        Why does the if [ -f filename] work in the rc script when
>the system boots, but not when I try it?
>...what bothers me is that it used to work and all of a sudden stoped!

In article <2067 at solo10.cs.vu.nl> maart at cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath)
lists three good possibilities, but misses a fourth:

     4)	your system uses a multiple universe scheme, and you
	as a user are using the ATT universe while the boot
	environment (including /etc/rc) uses the UCB universe.

For those unfamiliar with it, "[" is just an extra link to
/bin/test, which merely (as I recall) causes it too look for the
matching "]".  (I suppose this is thought to make shell scripts
look nicer; I've always considered it an unnecessary hack.)

None of this explains why Brad's daemons aren't being started
under rc, which is handling "[" correctly.  The possibilities are
endless: corrupted binaries, missing configuration files,
intermittent network connections, gronked server machines
elsewhere on the network, infrequent astral conjunctions, etc.,
etc...

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.pika.mit.edu