Is it me or is it my rc.local?

BHAYNES%AUDUCVAX.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu BHAYNES%AUDUCVAX.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Mon Feb 20 04:11:59 AEST 1989

PLEASE HELP!

        A few days ago we rebooted our VAX 11/750  (Ultrix V1.2)
and noticed that some of the daemons didn't start.  I can't figure
out why!!!  I tried to "sh < rc.local" in an attempt to see what
was going on and I got the following results:

        [messages deleted]

>  + echo This also is a test
>  This also is a test
>  + [ -f /etc/syslog ]
>  sh: [: not found
>  + [ -f /usr/lib/sendmail]
>  sh: [: not found

        [error messages deleted]

        The relevent section of the console log is:

>  Starting DECnet.
>  check quotas: done.

        [DECnet message deleted]

>  local daemons:.
preserving editor files
clearing /tmp
standard daemons: update cron accounting.

        [everything else is ok]

All of the files that are being looked for are there!

        Why does the if [ -f filename] work in the rc script when
the system boots, but not when I try it?  We have changed the if
statements to be if test -f ... and that works, but what bothers
me is that it used to work and all of a sudden stoped!

        part of rc.local follows:

echo -n 'check quotas: '                                        >/dev/console
        /etc/quotacheck -a
echo 'done.'                                                    >/dev/console
/etc/quotaon -a
#if [ -f /etc/rdate ]; then
#       /etc/rdate -s                                           >/dev/console
#fi
/usr/ucb/strings /vmunix | grep 'Ultrix' >/tmp/t1
grep -v Ultrix /etc/motd >>/tmp/t1
cp /tmp/t1 /etc/motd
rm /tmp/t1
/etc/savecore /usr/adm                                          >/dev/console
echo "This is a test"
echo -n 'local daemons:'                                        >/dev/console
#if [ -f /etc/routed ]; then
#       /etc/routed & echo -n ' routed'                         >/dev/console
#fi
echo "This also is a test"
if [ -f /etc/syslog ]; then
        /etc/syslog & echo -n ' syslog'                         >/dev/console
fi
if [ -f /usr/lib/sendmail ]; then
        (cd /usr/spool/mqueue; rm -f lf*)
        /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h -om& echo -n ' sendmail'     >/dev/console
fi
if [ -f /etc/lcp ]; then
        /etc/lcp -s > /dev/console 2>&1 & echo -n ' lat'        >/dev/console
fi
echo '.'                                                        >/dev/console

        Much Thanks in Advance!

        Brad Haynes

                Brad Haynes

Brad Haynes                        |  Internet: bhaynes at ducvax.auburn.edu
Asst. Systems Manager              |
Electrical Engineering             |  Bitnet:   BHAYNES at AUDUCVAX
321 Broun Hall                     |
Auburn University, Alabama 36849   |  Local:    b_haynes at wareagle
(205) 887-1852    (205) 826-0479   |            mv3600::b_haynes