Servers under Inetd

Bobby Krupczak rdk at beach.cis.ufl.edu
Mon Feb 20 11:16:08 AEST 1989

Hi!

I am currently writing a sockets based server program that
will be fired up by inetd - the BSD super server.  I have
read documentation stating that the server is exec'ed with
file descriptor 0 passed in as the socket descriptor.  I have
read a IPC Tutorial written by Bill Joy and others that states
that file descriptors 0 and 1 are the socket descriptors.  The
source for inetd says that 0,1,2 are used for the socket descriptor.

This effectively cuts off debugging statements using printf.  To
solve this problem I would simply open a data file and write debugging
statements to it.  THATS THE PROBLEM.  It seems that there server
is unable to write to files.

Am I making an incredible oversight, or is there something else I
need to do?

Thanks in advance

Bobby