autoreply - How to ???

Tom Baas tom at lakesys.UUCP
Sun Feb 19 03:53:28 AEST 1989

In article <138 at sysadm.UUCP> bjorn at sysadm.UUCP (Bjorn Satdeva) writes:

>I need a good method to set up automagically reply with a preset
>messages to incomming mail on a few special accounts.  I had originally
>planned to use the "autoreply" from elm, but it seems like it its
>directed more towards answering during vacation, etc. than real
>automagic reply.  On top of this, it is not working.
>
>I know there is several setups in usenet-land which have this in
>email. ...
>
>The system here is is SysV without sendmail, but with smail
>added.  I am considering adding sendmail to the system, so
>solutions which require sendmail is of interest also.

I have almost the same situation as Bjorn.  I have a Unix pc with elm 2.1
and can not get "autoreply" to work.

I have smail added to the machine.

I do not know the difference between smail and sendmail.  Nor do I know the
advantages of one over the other.  Nor how to substitute one for the other.
[But I understand David Brierly (....xanth!galaxia!dave) has a version of
sendmail that would fit on my machine.]

I would very much like to be able to have an autoreply set up on my computer.
Be it the "autoreply" that came with "elm" or something that would allow
one to selectively reply.

If anyone could help Bjorn, I would also be interested.

Thanks

Tom Baas  (...lakesys!tom or ....lakesys!tbaas!tom)