Names, names (was: too many enumerated types?)

David C Lawrence tale at its.rpi.edu
Thu Feb 23 11:27:05 AEST 1989

In some unknown article, someone writes:
> Then they showed an example of The New Wave, a four-line error message
> which took 3 lines to misdiagnose the problem, and reminded you that
> this was, in fact, an error.  Yup.  Just like VMS...  :-)

In article <14020060 at hpisod2.HP.COM> decot at hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
dd> I object to this use of an HP trademark (NewWave) for something unrelated
dd> to our product and for a situation this disgusting.

[So, why didn't you reference the article which you quoted?  I believe
that they are in the "friendly messages" subject.  <435 at laic.UUCP> had
no mention of The New Wave or NewWave (tm).]

I certainly hope you are saying this with mock sincerity.  I would not
be at all surprised if the original poster had never even heard of
"NewWave".  Secondly, "The New Wave" is not an infringement on
"NewWave".  Finally, if the two things are as disparate as you assert,
then why care at all?  Geesh.
      tale at rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts at rpitsgw.rpi.edu, tale at pawl.rpi.edu