too many enumerated types?

John Woods john at frog.UUCP
Tue Feb 14 17:02:00 AEST 1989

In article <1049 at vsi.COM>, friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>      Reliable sources tell that perror(3) will still be in the
> next SVID, but there are `Future Directions' that are much more
> substantial (they will make the error messages look more like
> VMS).

I attended a System V Release 4.0 Software Developers' Conference in December,
and I can attest that they are definitely making the error messages look like
VMS.  They showed an example of 5 different current UNIX utilities trying to
open an unreadable file, and each gave different one-line complaint, of
varying helpfulness.  Then they showed an example of The New Wave, a four-line
error message which took 3 lines to misdiagnose the problem, and reminded
you that this was, in fact, an error.  Yup.  Just like VMS... :-)
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john at frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw at eddie.mit.edu

Presumably this means that it is vital to get the wrong answers quickly.
		Kernighan and Plauger, The Elements of Programming Style