How to tell if mail uses flock versus <maildir>/name.lock

Syd Weinstein syd at dsinc.UUCP
Tue Feb 7 06:33:17 AEST 1989

In the 2.2 version of Elm, we are adding the ability to use the
newer flock() style locking of the mailbox.  However, this brings
up a very important question.  How can we tell, at compile time,
which locking is use on a system.

My desire is to make Configure automatically set the type of locking.
But to do so, I need some way of telling.  It can be the content of
an include file, the presence or absence of a file, or the output
of some simple c program or a system command.

If I cannot find a way, I will have to ask the installer if their
system uses flock.  If I ask, I doubt if all installers will know
the correct answer.  If they get it wrong, they could loose a lot
of mail.

Please reply by email to syd at dsinc.UUCP and thanks for your help.