HELP WANTED: NFS problem(s)

Unix Consultation Mailbox consult at osiris.UUCP
Fri Feb 17 07:04:07 AEST 1989

In article <725 at hscfvax.harvard.edu> pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
> However, whenever a file is over/rewritten, the file permission is reset
> (to 4777 if user != root, same but with sticky bit set if root)....

Boy, this sounds kinda familiar... we are running NFS between Sun 3s and
Pyramid 9820s, and I frequently see directories with mode 3755 (sticky,
set group).  Also, files always seem to be created with the execute mode
bits on, especially when they're not being created by ld.  Anyone who
wants to take a stab at Greg's posting might want to try explaining it to
me, too; mail if you can, but post if you must.

                                                                 Phil Kos
                                                      Information Systems
...!uunet!pyrdc!osiris!phil                    The Johns Hopkins Hospital
                                                            Baltimore, MD