Ultrix 3.0 - where are the tales?

Rob Robertson rob at violet.berkeley.edu
Sat Feb 11 07:09:06 AEST 1989

In article <126 at indri.primate.wisc.edu> bin at primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>Now that Ultrix 3.0 is out, I've been anxiously waiting to hear
>what people who've installed it have to say about it: installation
>difficulty, gotcha's once installed, what breaks, etc.  (I don't
>want to be the guinea pig!)

STILL no hashed passwords.  So if your running something like an 8820
with lots and lots of users and have a binary distribution, expect to
dedicate a processor to doing "ls -l"'s.

Oh yeah:

    ultrix 3.0 %  strings /usr/ucb/lock | head
    eley) 3/30/83
>>> hasta la vista			<<<
    Key:
    Again:
    @(#)lock.c
    4.3 (Berkeley) 6/10/83
    @(#)printf.c
    (ULTRIX)
    11/23/87
    @(#)signal.c
    ultrix 3.0 %

I know of a few sites that have sold their 8820's, bought a used 8650's
(made some money) and put up 4.3tahoe and noticed about the same
performance.

rob
				william robertson
				rob at violet.berkeley.edu