Help: close() returns -1

Fred Fish fnf at estinc.UUCP
Mon Feb 6 11:40:23 AEST 1989

In article <4369 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> jackm at devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jack Morrison) writes:
>I have written a simple driver for a parallel port on a Sun 3/260.
>Everything works except for one thing: close() returns an error
>status (-1), with errno=1 (not owner).

I don't know if it is related or not, but under SunOS 4.0 on a Sun-4,
a close() on the tape device /dev/rst8, after writing data to the tape,
returns a -1 with errno=EPERM.  Apparently none of the standard UNIX
utilities that write to the tape drive bother to check the return status
of close()...  :-(

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf