Ultrix/32 & VMS

Ross Parker parker at waters.mpr.ca
Thu Mar 2 11:36:14 AEST 1989

In article <18496 at adm.BRL.MIL> drs at bnlux0.bnl.gov (David R. Stampf) writes:
>>From: senetza%vp.uleth.adhocnet.ca%UNCAEDU.BITNET at cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
>>
>>Our institution is considering the purchase of some VAXStation 3100's so that
>>we can run both Ultrix/32 and VMS.  We've been told, by Dec, that there will
>>be no problem with the 3100's running either of the OS's (they can choose the
>>operating system while booting up).  This is fine, we can live with this.  But,
>>I've got some questions about the compatability twixt the two.
>>
>	I would check this out - as far as I know, the 3100 only runs ultrix
>and dec had no plans to port vms to the risc architecture.  If vms is
>important to you, the 3100 is not.

The *DECstation* 3100 only runs Ultrix... the *VAXstation 3100 will run either.
It seems a little ambitious, however, to be able to choose between VMS and
UNIX at boot time... the file systems are *waaaaaaaay* different. This would
perhaps be possible if you had a set of disks for UNIX, and a set for VMS.

Ross Parker      uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker       |
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| You can't erase the dream,
Burnaby, B.C.,					| you can only wake me up...
Canada, eh?					|